Even if you don’t plan to vote for a Republican on November 4, you’re not off the hook. Unless you are prepared to do whatever is necessary over the next 34 days to make sure Democrats win every election possible, you are a fool. Likewise, if you believe that Democrats are just as big a problem as Republicans, or that “both parties” are equally responsible for the state of our country, you just aren’t paying attention. If you can look back at American politics since 1981 and not understand that everything bad that’s happened has been the result of Republicans, you’re not the “political junkie” you think you are.
Look at the biggest problems that American faces right now, and I dare you to find one of them that was caused by the Democratic Party. Keep in mind, Democrats have only controlled the government from 1993 to 1995 and from 2009 to 2011. Two two-year periods is all they have had available to them to enact major policy changes. As a result, Republicans have been able to hijack the system and reverse many of the gains we made between 1933 and 1981.
Reversing our fortunes is surprisingly easy. It’s incredibly easy. All it requires is that we stop electing Republicans to majorities in bodies of government at the local, state and federal levels. It’s really that simple. I know, many of you really want politics to be extremely difficult, but it’s not. The founding fathers made the system easy to understand, because they knew that uneducated people also get the vote, and deserve it. You don’t have to be a genius to cast a vote on election day, and the fact of the matter is, that’s the best thing about democracy. You have to know everything about every issue during the cast a vote, nor should you. In fact, most voters who think they know everything about every issue because they immerse themselves in cable news every single freaking day don’t know much more than the average voter that they the deride for being “stupid.”
Consider this; in the 111th Congress, Democrats passed 375 bills that were blocked by Senate filibusters, and far left “political junkies” — who were supposedly smarter than everyone else — blamed it all on Democrats, which makes absolutely no sense. Democrats didn’t filibuster any bills, nor did they vote against cloture. Why would they? They were in the majority, and they crafted most of the bills. Yet, during 2010, all we heard all year was how “spineless” Democrats were, and how they couldn’t get anything done. It was so bad, conservative Democrats were targeted to a much greater degree than the 41 Republicans who used the filibuster to block everything that may have made Democrats for president Obama look good. All we had to do was help Democrats came to three seats in the Senate and keep the majority in the House, and we could have gotten a lot of progressive stuff through. Yet, we can’t seem to do that. For whatever reason, a significant portion of the progressive movement seems hell-bent on self-destruction.
Again, this is not a difficult concept. Get rid of Republicans, and America stops moving right. Consider our biggest problems:
- Jobs and Economy — Republicans sent all those jobs overseas. Republicans passed all those laws that led to the Great Recession. Republicans sat back and watched as the housing market bubble blew up and then burst. Republicans wanted to give large banks hundreds of billions of dollars free and clear, without even demanding that they pay it back. Republicans are actively killing any bill that would beef up our infrastructure and create more jobs. Republicans are refusing to even consider public works jobs creation bills. Republicans are actively fighting bills that would move jobs back to the United States from other countries. Republicans are trying to prevent you from getting health insurance.
- Civil Liberties — Republicans keep passing laws to ban same-sex marriage. Republicans passed all of those draconian laws that have brought us to the point that the United States has the largest prison population in the world. Republicans want to perpetuate the drug war, even though it’s failed. Republicans started spying on people without any oversight whatsoever. Republicans excuse police when they overstep their bounds, and they turn crime victims into criminals on a regular basis. Listening to the Republican Party these days sounds as if we’re listening to the Communist Party in the old Soviet Union.
- The Terrorist Threat — Republicans allowed the worst terrorist attack ever on US soil back in 2001. Republicans let Osama bin Laden go. Republicans went after Al Qaeda and gave up within a year, to focus on an unnecessary war that has now given us ISIS. Republicans created Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda in the first place.
- The Gun Culture — Republicans won’t even consider a law that would put even the mildest restrictions on gun ownership in this country. Republicans refused to pass a universal background checks law after children were massacred in their elementary schooly, even though 90% of the American people are in favor of such a law. Republicans killed the assault weapons ban, and they will do anything the NRA asks them to, without question. Republicans passed stand your ground laws, to give shooters cover when they use their gun irresponsibly.
- oil and energy — Republicans killed programs to develop alternative fuels, including solar and wind power. Republicans refused to pass laws that would support research and development of electric cars. Republicans have knee capped the country when it comes to getting us off of our oil addiction.
I could go on. No, seriously, this could be a 200,000 word book. Consider these gems;
- Just last year, Republicans shut down the government and demanded an end to Obamacare; a law that was already more than three years old and was starting to take effect.
- At the same time they shut down the government, 144 House Republicans voted to default on the national debt.
- In all, 136 Republicans voted against the Violence Against Women Act. yes, that’s right. More than half the Republican caucus apparently supports violence against women.
- The Republican House has voted at least 55 times to kill Obamacare, without a replacement.
- Republicans have voted several dozen times to severely restrict or take away a woman’s right to choose.
- Republicans impeached Bill Clinton for a blow job.
- Republicans refused to even consider sanctions against George W. Bush for leaving tens of thousands of people stranded in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, so that he could do some fundraising.
Like I said, it is hard to consider anything that is wrong with this country at the moment, and not see Republican hands all over it. Our parents and grandparents figured it out, and they refused to allow Republicans to run anything important after Herbert Hoover screwed things up the first time. between 1933 and 1981, Republicans got to run the government for four years in the early 1950s. They screwed things up, as usual, but not nearly as much as the current Congress, led by a Republican House, but the American people toss them out and gave the reins back to Democrats.
Republicans screwing up is not something unprecedented, but the Republican Party is actually worse now than it was 50 years ago. The exercise above can be done on nearly every issue. Seriously, the last major screwup by the Democratic Party was the Vietnam War, and that ended 41 years ago. Everything that’s happening right now is because of the culture of the Republican Party, and its influence over everything we touch.
When I was a kid, my little brother had a knack for destroying things. We used to call him King Mid-ass, because everything he touched turned to shit (instead of gold. Get it?). Well, that’s our modern-day Republican Party, the Mid-Ass Party. And we need to get rid of them. And the way to get rid of them is to push Democrats as hard as you can. I don’t care if you have to hold your nose occasionally. The fact of the matter is, individual members of Congress cannot do anything; only a majority can make major policy changes.
You can wish for a progressive country all you want. You can march in the streets, you can make noise, you can take over all the parks in the country and you can play bogeyman to all the moneyed interests in this country, but you cannot have a progressive country as long as the Republicans are essentially in charge.
Tomorrow: Who is the “Democratic base,” really?