The next time someone tells me there’s no difference between Democrats and Republicans, I swear I’ll kick ’em in the shins.
No, I won’t. I’m incredibly non-violent. But I’ll have to advise you, you’re an ignorant clown, because there is nothing else to call that claim. Neither party is perfect, of course, but good lord! The SAME? If the Democratic Party has a problem, it’s that they pander to everyone who’s not a rich white man. They do give a damn what Americans think about them.
On the other hand, the current incarnation of the Republican Party doesn’t give a shit what you think about anything, unless you have a billion dollars.
- Not one Republican voted for the stimulus package in 2009, which inarguably kept us out of a depression.
- Not one Republican voted for health care reform, and not one Republican proposed an alternative that would have changed the status quo significantly.
- Not one Republican Senator voted to allow Wall Street reform to make it to the Senate floor, right after Wall Street caused the worst economic meltdown since the Great Depression.
- Not only Republican voted for a reform bill that would have required banks to inform you when they were gambling with your money.
- Republicans have killed at least a dozen jobs bills. They even blocked on bill earlier this year that would have killed an outsourcing tax credit, and may have brought hundreds of thousands of jobs back to the United States.
- Republican budget cuts have put nearly a million government workers on the unemployment line. DURING A RECESSION AND RECOVERY.
- Republicans have voted for at least two budgets that would have killed Medicare, and replaced it with a voucher plan.
- Republicans won’t allow consideration of a bill that would require anyone who wants to buy a gun to undergo a background check. This, even though more than 90 percent of the American people think it’s a good idea.
- Republican blocked the Paycheck Fairness Act, which would give women a shot at equal pay for equal work. Both times, it had enough votes to pass under normal circumstances.
- Not one Republican voted for the Lily Ledbetter Act, which allowed women to sue for pay discrimination
- Not one Republican voted for the anti-rape amendment.
- Republicans blocked a bill that would have provided first responders with greater health care coverage for illnesses they contracted on 9/11.
- Last month, Republicans blocked a vote on a $21 billion bill to expand Veterans benefits, and then turned around and blamed Democrats for the failure. It was the seventh such bill they have blocked.
- One veterans bill they blocked would have provided additional help to homeless veterans.
- Republicans complain about Benghazi, but they’re the ones who cut millions from the State Department security budget, and it is believed those cuts were a major reason for the relatively lax security in Libya.
- Republicans whine constantly about immigration, but not one of them has taken the lead in passing any sort of meaningful immigration reform.
- Republicans blocked the DREAM Act, which would have created a path to citizenship for those immigrants who have been here since they were small children.
- Republicans not only won’t entertain an increase in the minimum wage to $10.10 per hour, they won’t even offer a compromise amount that’s higher than $7.25 per hour.
- Republicans have made deep cuts in SNAP/Food Stamps, school lunch programs, Head Start and a number of other programs for the poor, just to protect low tax rates on billionaires.
- Republicans have voted 55 times to kill health insurance reform.
- Republicans shut down the government for half a month in a vain attempt to kill health insurance reform.
- Republicans complained when the Student loan system was moved under the federal umbrella, but then proceeded to double interest rates.
- Republicans blocked an extension of unemployment insurance, which workers actually pay for.
- Republicans blocked the Farm Bill for a long time, and the bill that passed helped corporate farmers greatly, while screwing the poor.
- Twice, Republicans have blocked bills that would have required disclosure of the source of all political ads.
- And, of course, 144 Republicans in the House voted to default on the national debt, which could possibly have caused you to lose all of the money you just got back into your retirement account.
The same? Hardly. Democrats care about you, and Republicans couldn’t care less for you. That’s a BIG difference.Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2014 The PCTC Blog