by @SueinRockville, from her post at Daily Kos
Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart”- Anne Frank
As we begin to mourn the dead once again after another mass murder in America and with all the usual knee-jerk responses, let’s go back to the beginning and the ACTUAL words of the 2nd Amendment:
“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”
How did this clear statement get so distorted, bastardized and manipulated to turn our country into a hellscape of daily violence? It was purchased by the Merchants of Death & their EVIL henchmen, the NRA to buy and own Congress?
How much MONEY? The NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION has given $11,970,030 to 5,419 different filers over 26 years. Overwhelmingly that blood-soaked money goes to REPUBLICANS!
Some Democrats are culpable as well, albeit to a far lesser extent. IN 2013, a simple fix to loopholes was voted down by these 45 Senators. All of them are still in office need to LOSE their next elections:
As President Obama said that “there was no coherent argument for why we wouldn’t do this. It came down to politics.”
We have FIVE months to unite & be sure to VOTE FOR all candidates who will support these COMMON SENSE reforms: (With thanks to the Newtown Action Alliance*
These are some common sense federal gun laws that should be passed:
- BAN all Assault weapons and limitations on high capacity magazines
- Universal background checks on all gun sales to keep guns out of the hands of terrorists, domestic abusers, other violent criminals, the severely mentally ill and those who are suicidal
- Close the Charleston loophole: no firearm sale without a completed background check.
- Close the terror gap by prohibiting gun sales to those on the No-Fly list.
- End the CDC ban on gun violence research.
- Domestic violence restraining order to prevent abusers with a temporary restraining order from possessing firearms.
- Repeal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) to hold irresponsible dealers and manufacturers accountable-NO Industry should be immune from accountability!
- Child access prevention law for safe storage of firearms.
- Require gun safety training for each gun bought for everyone in living in the home.
- Require insurance for each weapon based on how powerful it is. ( Similar to varied car insurance rates)
Not one of these laws would violate anything the Founding Fathers wrote.
As Cicero wrote, “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within.”
If we FAIL yet again then when will it end?
My version of the famous Martin Niemoller’s poem:
First they murdered THEIR families yet I did nothing
Then they murdered OUR neighbors yet I did nothing
Then they murdered OUR co-workers yet I did nothing
Then they murdered OUR CHILDREN yet I still did nothing
Then they came to murder ME but there was NO ONE left!
As so beautifully expressed by so many at the 2016 Tony Awards on June 12, I still believe
Copyright 2016 The PCTC Blog