Someone on Twitter dared diss my extensive list of Obama accomplishments just a little while ago. I’m certain he was a troll, especially given that he used one common argument, in which he put down the source, which is this blog. I don’t have a problem with that, per se. I mean, this blog is not professional left and I barely get my money back on it most months and even I will tell you this isn’t an entirely journalistic enterprise. Unlike the Right Wing Fart Machine, I don’t expect you to just believe what I write here without checking, which is why every single accomplishment is accompanied by a source, proving that the claim is correct.
However, this guy made another claim that had me scratching my head. He suggested that almost everything on that list was something that a president is required to do. See what I mean? You’re scratching your head, too. How can you not? I mean, if every president is required to do all of these things, then why did Obama have to do them?
Then I thought about it. Poor guy. He’s a Republican. How can we not feel sorry for Republicans like that? I mean, what can they point to as accomplishments for their side? I mean, I can come up with a long list of things that I, as a Democrat, can point to with pride as a major accomplishment. For example, here’s a partial list:
- The New Deal
- Social Security
- The end of child labor
- The rise of unions and collective bargaining
- National Labor Relations Act
- The standard 40-hour work week
- The creation of the minimum wage
- workers’ compensation
- unemployment insurance
- Bank reforms that have prevented another depression, even after 80 years.
- The creation of the FDIC
- The creation of the FSLIC
- The creation of an insurance system that made the 30-year mortgage possible
- The Securities and Exchange Commission
- The Federal Communications Commission
- The GI Bill
- Land grant universities
- Student financial aid, like Pell Grantsand Stafford Loans, to make college affordable for more people.
- Helping Europe and Asia win World War II
- Building the US into the richest country in the history of the world.
- The Marshall Plan.
- The Civil Rights Act.
- The Voting Rights Act.
- Title IX.
- Equal Pay Act
- Lilly Ledbetter Act
- Federal Housing Administration
- Housing and Urban Development
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- The Peace Corps
- Public Broadcasting
- The end of miscegenation laws
- The Federal Trade Commission
- The Fair Labor Standards Act
- Overtime Pay
- The Food and Drug Administration.
- Food Stamps.
- WIC (Women, Infants & Children)
- The Occupational Safety and Health Act
- The Environmental Protection Act
- The Clean Air Act
- The Clean Water Act
- The Federal Election Commission
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
- The Brady Bill
- The Assault Weapons Ban
- The Affordable Care Act.
- The GI Bill of Rights
- The Veterans Administration
- Whistleblower protections
- Federal budget surpluses.
Like I said, this is a partial list.
At the same time, it’s no wonder Republicans have such a hard time accepting that Democrats do more. Not only is it difficult to come up with even one thing Republicans could put onto a similar list, it is also to look at the above list and not acknowledge that they have tried to dismantle or kill almost everything on it.
Click on “The Republican Record” above, and you’ll see just how bad they are at governing. Not just a few select Republicans, either; their ideology is pretty much universally horrible. We have to blow them out of government and replace them with Democrats.Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 The PCTC Blog