You know, I hate it when a Republican is right about anything, but I have to agree with the latest talking point.
Let’s start with the definition of appeasement:
— to buy off (an aggressor) by concessions usually at the sacrifice of principles (courtesy of Merriam-Webster)
Based on that definition, the Republican talkers are right; the Democrats have tended to be appeasers for a lot of bad people for the last 15 or so, and it has to stop.
Look at the record if you don’t believe me.
- Democrats looked the other way as an out of control right wing court in a heretofore democratic nation demanded the votes of tens of millions of people in a supposed democracy not be counted, despite the fact that they knew they existed.
- Democrats stood by and watched, and even assisted, as the legislature of a formerly democratic nation passed a draconian bill that gave their government the authority to invade people’s privacy rights at will, and its rogue leadership gladly signed it and gleefully enforced its harshest aspects.
- Democrats sat back and allowed the government of a heretofore democratic nation to take prisoners without probable cause, hold them for an indefinite period, without due process or access to counsel, based on the leader’s personal judgment that the person being held was a danger to, well, someone.
- Democrats have stood by and watched as the rogue leadership of a formerly democratic nation asserted its right to torture people based on their whim, and to ignore all domestic and international legal restrictions on such torture.
- Democrats stood by and watched as officials at the highest levels of rogue leadership of a formerly democratic nation revealed the name of a covert agent, working for the public, in the interest of greater national security.
- Democrats have stood by and allowed the leader of a formerly democratic nation has repeatedly signed bills passed via the democratic process, and included a statement that said law would not apply to him, if he didn’t want it to.
- Democrats have allowed a rogue political party to block any law they don’t like, and to block any sort of oversight of the rogue leadership of a formerly democratic nation.
- Democrats allowed the rogue leadership of a formerly democratic nation to pack its court system with ideologues, who are far more bent on circumventing the democratic process and imposing their rogue ideology on people, rather than applying existing democratically crafted laws.
- Democrats have not actively attempted to stop the rogue leadership of a formerly democratic nation from spying on its people at will, under the guise of their own protection.
- Democrats sat back and watched, and many even participated, as the rogue leadership of a formerly democratic nation invaded another sovereign nation based on false pretenses and outright lies.
- Democrats continued to sit back and watch, as it became clear that the rogue leadership of this formerly democratic nation had no plan beyond bombing the hell out of the country and taking over its economic infrastructure, and the lack of planning resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people.
- Democrats sat back and allowed the rogue leadership of a formerly democratic nation to plunder that country’s treasury repeatedly, by handing over hundreds of billions of tax dollars to "contractors" who had given them lots of money to get them in power in the first place.
- Democrats have continually allowed the rogue leadership of a formerly democratic nation to borrow more and more money, to pay for the war started by the rogue leadership of a formerly democratic nation, and have done nothing to actually end the occupation of a country with a democratically elected leadership, by that same rogue leadership of a formerly democratic nation.
These are just a few examples of Democrats appeasing the rogue leadership of a formerly democratic nation. They have the power to stop this rogue leadership, and to even remove it from power. Instead, they continue to make concession after concession to this rogue leadership, and have done so repeatedly for almost 15 years, under the guise of political expediency.
The far right is actually right this time. Democrats MUST stop their appeasement of the rogue leadership of a formerly democratic nation, because it’s costing lives and trillions of dollars. And they must stop it now. Democracy is too precious to allow this rogue leadership to continue abusing its people and its democratic processes to the extent that have been able to. The people of this formerly democratic nation should be encouraged to take back their democracy, and this appeasement by the Democrats must stop, and stop NOW.Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2008 The PCTC Blog